At our monthly Writing is Fun meetings we decide a prompt for writing for the next meeting. Length is set at 2 pages so we can read them at the meeting. There is quite a diversity of writing. Some are real life recollections, some fictional vignettes, and sometimes there's a poem. This is fictional.
The prompt for August 2026: Unanswered Messages
The Distance Between Us – Carol Kagan
The disagreements. The resentments. The arguments. The anger
flaring so much I needed to leave. The unresolved reasons fostering lies to
avoid accepting any responsibility. Now you are with him and I can’t see you.
I need to urge you to step away from him to give me the
opportunity to explain why I left. He is so controlling over your life there
was no way to sort our ending out. The lack of any possibility of seeing you is
a battle that consumes my every thought. My love for you is as strong as our
first day together.
The phone messages I left before your number was changed were not returned. You have not responded to the notes I left. The last
attempt to reach out to you is another note. Knowing I will put it on your car I
am hoping the contents bring back fond memories of those trips together. Singing to beach music as we traveled to the shore- the salty air, unsuccessful surfing attempts, and messy steamed crab dinners. The
vacation trip to Disney World, sharing snacks of sweet smelling caramel corn, peanuts, and sharing McNuggets between the seats.
The smoky scent of campfire and smelly hiking boots filling the car on the way
home from camping. After sealing the envelope and writing your name
on it, I realize you may recognize my handwriting from all the notes I had
written over the years. I pray you will read this one.
Easily recognizing your car in the parking lot, I placed the
note quickly and steered into a nearby lot. I sat there waiting to see you.
I watched, surprised that he was with you that day.
He quickly went to the driver’s side and picked up the note.
He looked at it. Without offering it to you, he went over to the trash bin and threw
it away, unopened.
Did he make you change your phone number? Has he intercepted
my notes? Is he the reason there are so many unanswered messages?
I watched as you both sat at the outdoor table on the patio
of the Georgetown Pub- one of our favorite places. Why am I not there with you?
Were you making plans for after the ceremony- plans that could have been with
me? I will still go and to watch as you.
I stood there too long. To make a quick exit I grabbed the
first tour bus and during the ride remembering one of our best days
together. It was picnicking beneath the cherry blossom trees, their faint
fragrance carried on a light breeze on a picture perfect April day.
Ending up at the Smithsonian Museum, I wandered through
the gift shop and saw a silver keyring with pink cherry blossoms engraved on it
and a blank spot on the back. A perfect gift now engraved on the back
with the loving name you called me.
Using brown paper wrapping, I carefully printed your name in
block letters. Just before your usual arrival time home, I left it at the door.
Maybe you will think it is from a friend, or maybe a neighbor.
I watched as he came home early and picked up the package.
Looking around along the street, he took the unopened package and threw it into
the garbage can. How did he know it was from me?
Your photos are scattered about my apartment – you and me, a
group photo of us with friends, sometimes one taken at an event. And two albums
with pictures from your younger days, obtained through nefarious means.
Although I am reconciled that my pleas to reunite were
ignored, I have decided to make one last attempt. I have received an invitation
to the award ceremony.
*
* *
The award recipients entered and sat in the chairs lined
across the stage. She focused on the podium and who would step up next. When
the ceremony was over, he saw her and she ran from the auditorium. When she
reached the lobby she was shaking and stopped to take a deep breath.
Suddenly he was behind her, wrapping his arms around her.
Slowly he took her shoulders and turned her toward him. There was that wide
smile that had often greeted her when he came home.
He leaned in and breathed in her ear, “I love you and miss
you so much.”
She wrapped her arms around him and the deepest love welled
up inside her. They walked hand in hand to the reception area and found a
table. She reached in her purse and pulled out a small package, a gift to
commemorate the occasion.
It was a silver keyring with pink cherry blossoms in colored
enamel and on the back was engraved – With all my love, Momma.
© Carol Kagan, 2026

No comments:
Post a Comment